TEL - Leicester + 44 116 319 4884 / Birmingham + 44 121 798 0103

EEA Family permit

Applying for a Family Permit to join your EEA national family member

A family member wishing to travel to the UK to join or accompany an EEA national can apply to the British Embassy in their country of origin for a family permit, which will make passage to the United Kingdom considerably easier. If you arrive in the United Kingdom without a family permit you may be refused entry if you are unable to prove your relationship with the EEA national.

A Family Permit is free and a permit must be issued as soon as possible if the family member qualifies.

Where an applicant is an extended family member and their application will be subject to an extensive examination by an Entry Clearance Officer. Where an applicant is the immediate family member they must furnish evidence of their relationship to an EEA national and that the EEA national is a qualified person. If you are in the UK under some other provision of the Immigration Rules or without permission, you should submit an application for an EEA family permit to the Home Office.

Unlike the UK Immigration Rules there are no additional limitations on accommodation, maintenance, intention to live permanently with the other or that the marriage is subsisting. Further family members enjoy the same rights to take up activities as their EEA family member.

Derivative right of residence

You can apply for an EEA family permit if you have a ‘derivative right of residence’ as the:

  • primary carer of an EEA child in the UK who is financially independent
  • child of an EEA former worker and you’re currently in education in the UK
  • primary carer of a child of an EEA former worker and the child is currently in education in the UK
  • primary carer of a British child
  • primary carer of a British dependent adult
  • child of a primary carer who qualifies through one of these categories

As a ‘primary carer’, you have responsibility for the day to day care of a person, including making decisions about their education, health, and finances. You must be a family member or their legal guardian, and can be their main carer or share that responsibility with someone else.

How do I apply for a family permit

A family permit is applied for online and there are no Home Office fees for this. The visa is valid for 6 months, following which you are required to apply for a residence card if you are still living with your EEA national family member.

How GB Immigration can help

At GB Immigration, as specialists in UK immigration law, we can offer a full service to clients that require advice and assistance for their immigration needs. The quality of an initial application can make the difference between the success and failure of that application. It can be very frustrating to make an application only to find out when you receive the decision that your application did not contain the correct documentation and satisfactory explanation of your circumstances to ensure approval.

Our immigration team can help you navigate the often confusing maze of UK immigration law and assist you in deciding the most appropriate route.


Contact Our Immigration Lawyers in Leicester Today

If you require the services of an immigration specialist in Leicester to help resolve an immigration, nationality or asylum issue, please contact our friendly team today.

  • locate Leicester Office

    5 Upper King Street Leicester, Leicestershire LE1 6XF, United Kingdom


    Phone: +44 116 319 4884

  • locate Birmingham Office

    3 Brindley Pl, Birmingham, West Midlands B1 2JB, United Kingdom


    Phone: +44 121 798 0103

  • locate Coventry Office

    3 The Quadrant, Coventry CV1 2DY, United Kingdom


    Phone: +44 116 319 4884

Locate Us

       phone     mail    locate