TEL - Leicester + 44 116 319 4884 / Birmingham + 44 121 798 0103

Travel Document

What is a Travel Document?

If you have been recognised as a refugee, have humanitarian protection status, discretionary leave to remain or are settled (indefinite leave to remain), you may apply for a Travel Document to travel outside the UK. You may normally travel to any country except for the country from which asylum or other form of protection was sought.

Types of Travel Document

There are 4 different types you can apply for, depending on your status:

  •         Convention refugee travel document: if you have been recognised as a refugee or if you are the family member of a refugee and have come to join them under the family reunion rules
  •         Certificate of travel: if you hold ILR status in the UK, Discretionary Leave to Remain or Humanitarian Protection and you can demonstrate that you have been refused a passport by your own national authorities.
  •         Stateless person’s document: if you have been recognised as a stateless person
  •         One-way travel document: if you want to leave and not return

How you can apply

An application for a Travel Document can be made online or by post. To make a valid application, you will need to have a Biometric Residence Permit (a card confirming your visa status and personal details). If you do not have this already, then this needs to be applied for before you go ahead with your travel document application. It is also important to note that you will need to have valid leave to remain in the UK for a period of more than 6 months to make your travel document application.

The processing times for Travel Documents are on average about 4 to 8 weeks, however if the Home Office needs to do extra checks into the circumstances surrounding your application, then this may take longer. Once you have successfully applied for a travel document, the validity of this will most often be in line with your visa or 10 years if you hold indefinite leave to remain status.

Applying for your children

Your family members may apply with you at the same time. If you wish to apply for your child to travel with you, a separate travel document will need to be applied for.


Contact Our Immigration Lawyers in Leicester Today

If you require the services of an immigration specialist in Leicester to help resolve an immigration, nationality or asylum issue, please contact our friendly team today.

  • locate Leicester Office

    5 Upper King Street Leicester, Leicestershire LE1 6XF, United Kingdom


    Phone: +44 116 319 4884

  • locate Birmingham Office

    3 Brindley Pl, Birmingham, West Midlands B1 2JB, United Kingdom


    Phone: +44 121 798 0103

  • locate Coventry Office

    3 The Quadrant, Coventry CV1 2DY, United Kingdom


    Phone: +44 116 319 4884

Locate Us

       phone     mail    locate